The Cutout Bin

A collection of discarded or otherwise forgotten music.

-My fileserver is free, and you get what you pay for... so try rightclicking the mp3s and selecting "save link target as". You may have to do it more than once.

-Please see post #1 "Begin the begin" (3/24/06) for the raison d'etre for this blog. If you object to your music being posted here, email me and I will remove it.

My Photo
Name:

Repo Man's got all night, every night...

Friday, March 24, 2006

The A.M.

For my first entry, I will engage in a shocking display of nepotism and post my own band.

Tripp Cox: Guitar
Jason Hooker: Drums
Reid Johnson: Guitar, Vocal
Lobsterman: Bass

Home: Raleigh, NC

The A.M. morphed from a band known as the Pet Rocks which included Reid on guitar, Tripp on bass, and a different drummer. After Hooker and I joined in 2001, it became clear we had a different band.

There have been several interpretations of the name, including the obvious radio and "before noon" references, but also including "The Asshole Motherfuckers" and the view taken by booking agents that the band would only play after midnight. The truth is that when searching for a band name, Tripp and Reid favored calling the band "The Mops". Hooker and I were adamantly opposed, and named our faction "The Anti-Mops"- thus, "A.M." I wish it were a cooler story, but there it is.

These songs were recorded live in our practice space one night, except for the vocals (and dialog clips on "Take Out Your Heart"), which we recorded the next night before mixing. I think Reid and I only killed 6 beers between us during that process, so it went pretty fast. All the songs were written by Reid.

Recorded May 2002

Wastin Time.mp3
Take Out Your Heart.mp3

Eventually the band split up in early 2003, and Reid and Tripp turned their attention to the poppier, much less rocking but much more commercially successful Schooner (see links section). Very much worth your time to check them out.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you forgot to credit yourself with "yelling shit in the background," as I believe you once put it

12:19 AM  
Blogger High Priestess Kang said...

If you wave a $5.00 bill at the bass player during a gig, he will drop his pants.

2:33 PM  
Blogger Lobsterman said...

I TOLD you I wasn't doing that again.

2:37 PM  
Blogger High Priestess Kang said...

Yeah. And you'll also stay sober throughout the gig, right?

5:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey your linked from the Schooner site now... so better start selling some adspace! I am sure we'll generate a good 2-3 people a year in traffic extra for you...

I think H2 would kill to have a banner ad on the "Cut-out Bin"...

4:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home