The Cutout Bin

A collection of discarded or otherwise forgotten music.

-My fileserver is free, and you get what you pay for... so try rightclicking the mp3s and selecting "save link target as". You may have to do it more than once.

-Please see post #1 "Begin the begin" (3/24/06) for the raison d'etre for this blog. If you object to your music being posted here, email me and I will remove it.

My Photo
Name:

Repo Man's got all night, every night...

Monday, April 03, 2006

April Fools

Well it's a little late, but here it is anyway.

I work as an A1 (sound tech) for a company that does audio visual support for corporate events. It's like being a roadie for Corporate America but hey, the money's good.

Anyway, sometimes these companies create parodies of popular songs with lyrics about themselves, and play them at sales meetings, training seminars, etc. These two examples were created in the 1980s for a company that owned several restaurant chains. For some unknown reason, an executive for one of these chains loved these songs so much, he thought it'd be a great idea to dust them off 20 years later and play them at a meeting. There were at least 10 of these songs, here are my favorite two. "Ghostbusters" was actually played at the meeting, with the instruction to drop out the volume during the "executive shout-out" section, as none of the executives named in the song were still with the company.

I talked to the guy who produced these gems last week- when I told him I'd played his "Ghostbusters" track at a gig a couple of years ago, he looked at me like I'd just told him I liked to dip my head in boiling oil for fun. "Why?" he asked, "half the people in that room weren't even BORN when 'Ghostbusters' came out!"

Note- "Ghostbusters" cuts out 2/3 of the way through- that's because the tape broke while I was transferring it. I think my cassette deck rebelled. You get all the "best" (if that's really the right word) parts of the song, though.

Super Service Man.mp3
Ghostbusters.mp3

I'm going to have to fix the casette at some point, because there's a techno version of "Rocky Top" on there that you wouldn't believe.

5 Comments:

Blogger High Priestess Kang said...

I'm married to steak sauce. Great.

10:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"kick some willy"?!

incidentally, I think that might really be Johnny Rivers.

1:17 PM  
Blogger Lobsterman said...

There was talk of calling audio techs "Heinz 57" or "Lea & Perrins", but A1 was always my favorite. Great on scrambled eggs!

2:42 PM  
Blogger Lobsterman said...

Johnny Rivers singing "Ghostbusters"? If you say so...

"Kick some willy" is one of my favorite lyrics ever. Noel Gallagher never came up with anything that good. It's a phrase we still use at work sometimes.

2:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

no no, I think it's Johnny Rivers singing "Super Service Man."

this whole thing is like some twisted un-funny sellout version of Weird Al Yankovic

9:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home