The Cutout Bin

A collection of discarded or otherwise forgotten music.

-My fileserver is free, and you get what you pay for... so try rightclicking the mp3s and selecting "save link target as". You may have to do it more than once.

-Please see post #1 "Begin the begin" (3/24/06) for the raison d'etre for this blog. If you object to your music being posted here, email me and I will remove it.

My Photo
Name:

Repo Man's got all night, every night...

Sunday, July 02, 2006

4th of July

Well, it's fourth of July weekend- a time to drink a lot of beer, grill out, watch NASCAR, go fishing, etc. It is also the date in 1776 that a bunch of moonbat liberals wrote something called the Declaration of Independence.

I have never been an advocate of blind patriotism- "my country right or wrong" is simply a cop-out to avoid actually thinking about the political issues that affect not only the US, but the world. I think that dissent is healthy, and a necessary part of democracy. There is a frightening trend these days to paint anyone who disagrees with the current US government as "helping the enemy"- a tactic well known to Joseph Stalin and his successors.

I love my country and all the great ideals it was founded for, but I fear our government has strayed awfully far from those ideals. I do believe that the US will eventually get back on track and be the nation our forefathers intended (we always have), but we won't get there by burying our heads in the sand while waving the flag and chanting "USA! USA!"


With that said, here are a few of the jams I'll be kicking out this 7/4:

"American Ruse"- MC5

"Not Proud Of The USA"- The Mice

"4th Of July"- X (not political, just a great song)

"Born In The USA"- Bruce Springsteen
(If, like Ronald Reagan, you think this song is a rah-rah jingo anthem, check the lyrics- Born In The U.S.A.: brucespringsteen.net)

"Back In The USA"- Chuck Berry

"Star Spangled Banner"- Jimi Hendrix

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you forgot Billy Bragg's "Help Save The Youth of America"

11:10 AM  
Blogger Lobsterman said...

Well, although I didn't mention it I was concentrating on American artists. Otherwise #1 would have been the Clash's "I'm So Bored With The USA"

10:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home