The Cutout Bin

A collection of discarded or otherwise forgotten music.

-My fileserver is free, and you get what you pay for... so try rightclicking the mp3s and selecting "save link target as". You may have to do it more than once.

-Please see post #1 "Begin the begin" (3/24/06) for the raison d'etre for this blog. If you object to your music being posted here, email me and I will remove it.

My Photo
Name:

Repo Man's got all night, every night...

Saturday, April 22, 2006

The Put-Outs

John Shafer- Vocals, Guitar
Tim Conder- Bass, Backing Vocals
Rodney Cash- Drums

Hometown- Baltimore

From roughly 1994 through 1998, I tagged along as soundman for Raleigh band Boy Wonder Jinx (they'll be appearing here at some point). They shared bills with a lot of bands, the vast majority of whom totally sucked. There was a point early on when it seemed as if they couldn't play a show without being paired with a hippie jam band. I can only think of two occasions where they were matched (Scrawl and Earwig), and one where they were bested- The Put-Outs.

I have to admit to something of a bias- The Replacements were one of my favorite bands ever, and The Put-Outs emit a strong Hootennany/Let It Be vibe. Having Tommy Stinson produce your record doesn't discourage the comparison. John Shafer even looks like a young Paul Westerberg, and has the same rough, world-weary quality to his voice. The Put-Outs go beyond mere imitation though- Shafer's songs evoke the perfect balance of emotional complexity and balls-out rock that made the best 'Mats stuff so great.

The one and only time I saw them was in 1997, but a few years later I saw "Sing The Hits" in a cutout bin, and I figured it was worth risking $6 that it was the same band. There were reports The Put-Outs were recording a new album in 2003 with Don Coffey producing, but I can't find anything about it, except for a work-in-progress song posted at the Superdrag website.


Off Key.mp3

Longbranch Fadeaway.mp3

Loyal To Mistakes.mp3

From "The Put-Outs Sing The Hits", 1999 JOE records

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home